Saturday, March 26, 2011

the things they do and say

So most of you know we are trying to get a diagnosis for Ava , we see the state development team in 2 months and it could not come any sooner.  We know we are going to have to push for it but hey, this tough mummy does not back down for anyone, including professionals. I will be armed and ready with evidence, video footage, tape recordings, whatever it takes.
This last 2 months has me homeschooling our gorgeous little chillie, some days I feel like throwing the towel in, I can count to ten, reigning in my frustrated side several times a day, after a week it becomes tiresome and well, plain exhausting.
Theres only so many "I can't do it's", or " Ava is on holidays but Lewie the horse is here, I'm not talking, horses don't talk they whinny or grunt" So there goes my day. Even if I ask Ava to come back from holidays the horse wins.
Then there are those days when love abounds, when she calls me "Mrs Garrett" and we have flour fights when we make scones, and art wars on the whiteboard.
My favourite time is story time, choosing lots of books to read and role playing the characters. I can't tell you how many times we've played Lion King and either Ava or me are Scar and Mufasa, she like it when Scar pushes Mufasa of the canyon LOL..must be the most dramatic scene!!.
I love those days when its just her and her Dad. They like to hang out in the garden, or snuggle or hit the playground and library. Gives me a huge break.
Sometimes its hard to understand what she wants or means though.
For a while there she was refusing to flush the toilet or even go to the toilet. 5 weeks later we find out why.. (she does not always know why). Apparently Emily had accused her of eating lollies in the toilet.. huh? yep you are thinking the same as me, what a pathetic, irrational reason. To her though its very real, and very rational. You really have to accept it, say " I know you did not eat lollies in the toilet" and move on.. yep..move on..nothing more to explain, just flush the damn toilet and go to the toilet from now on won't you?.
Sometimes she is so funny. We were sitting in bed talking about fairies the other night and there happened to be a knock on my window..I think a bird flew into it. Ava looked at me with the most surprised look on her face, squealed in delight and shouted very loudly "MUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM THERES A TOOTH FAIRY OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WANTS MY TOOTH BUT ITS NOT WOBBLY ENOUGH,"
I had to giggle at that one.....even when we went to a recent party she was convinced the face painting fairies were real..she even asked them if they lived in a secret garden. I love that her imagination is so vivid, sometimes it is too vivid and interferes in her daily life. For such a long time she believed that the wind was nasty ,so we did not venture outside for at least 3 weeks. Every time we went to get in the car she screamed, I gave up until one day she decided after all that the wind was good..you have to be patient, you can't change her mind, it won't always work. Those are the times when its hard, when life has given you lemons but the lemonade is elusive.
Music is always good therapy in our house, as is dancing..Ava has an amazing affinity with rhythm and movement..whenever shes stressed, we dance..we sing..we just move our bodies..it soothes, calms and gets us focused on regrouping to better the day.
I am so lucky to have such an odd child, I like her quirks, I like who she is, I just love everything about her,and whats more important is that even if we have a bad day, if we can wake up the next morning with a smile, some sunshine and a cuddle then everything else seems trivial and insignificant. Love your children for everything they are..and desire to be...
                                                       what can i say?
                                                      dancing queen

                                                       daywear..pyjamas and headphones lol

No comments: